On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
Stroller/handbag/car seat for three, the basket is removable and washable, and the 600D linen is selected for comfortable and breathable.
The bold steel frame is durable and has a frame width of 5CM. The one-button closure makes it easier to close the car.
The front and rear eight-wheel design, spring shock absorption in the front and rear wheels, easy to deal with complex road environment; front wheel vertical axis design, easy 360-degree rotation.
The three-section design makes it easy to deal with all kinds of complex weather and environment; the three-point design is safe and secure.
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- PENN PLAX (NWK25) goldfish Betta Fish Bowl With Decorations Plastic 1.25 Gallon Bowl With Lid
- Replacement for SPORTDOG Deluxe Big Dog Remote Trainer Collar Battery Accessory
- White 16in White 16in Popular Knit Chunky Pet Cave White Chunky Cat Bed,Chunky Knit Pet Bed,Handmade 16in Pet cave,Pet Bedding,Chunky Knit Cat Bed,Wool Cat Bed (White, 16in)
- color Green Fishagelo Hunting Tactical Skull V4 Avengers Cosplay Toxic Full Face M04 Military CS Airsoft Safety Gas Mask Fishagelo (color color Black)
- CHALLENGER 640D Turnout Water Resistant Winter Horse Sheet Light Blanket purplec 912P
- CROCI Rectangle Pet Bed, 60 x 50 x 20 cm, Ruby Red
- Dixinla Pet Carrier Backpack Pets out Pack Oxford cloth out Portable pet bag breathable doggy folding bag 46x23x35cm
- Fancy Feast Sliced Poultry & Beef Feast Variety Pack 12 x 3 oz by Fancy Feast
- Healthy Coat Equine Food Supplement Gallon by Healthy Coat
- Kennel, Small MediumSized Dog Cat Litter, Four Seasons Universal, Pet Kennel Mattress, Four Seasons Universal, 3 Piece Set, Black, Brown, bluee (color bluee, Size S)
- LLDDP Birdcage Wood Classic Bird Feeder Outdoor Courtyard Garden Villa Landscape Decoration Outdoor Birds Hanging Rainproof Craft Decoration Iron Pendant Garden Decoration Bird Feeder
- Novenco Genuine Soft Leather Dog Collar Cat Collar Padded with Leather, Adjustable for Baby and Small Dogs and Cats (9 11 3 4 , Brown)
- Green Double Bowl Dog Stainless Steel Bowl Anti Leakage Insect While Eating And Drinking Water Separated Design For Easy Cleaning BL-016
- Buckle-Down DLS-W31695 Leash Splitter-Punk You White Black, 1 W-30 L
- Pet Leash Hyena Rope ThreeHeaded Traction Rope Pet Leash with Reflective Strip Dog Chain Pet Supplies Medium Large Dog (Without Collar) (color Black, Size 2.5 50cm)
- QNJM 2 Step Pet Stairs, Breathable Mesh Pet Ramp, Multifunctional Pet Bed Stairs Dog Ramp NonSlip Ladder For Home (color D)
- Dog Cat Car Seat Cover Dog Car Back Seat Waterproof Scratch-Proof Nonslip Durable Soft Pet Mat Hammock Cushion Predector
- Jia He Pet Stairs Folding car Dog Ladder Ladder car with Slope Assisted Off The Stairs pet Supplies pet Ladder @@
- KESS InHouse EBI Emporium Tie Dye Helix, Red Burgundy Abstract Dog Bed, 30 x 40
- D M D M Dog Toy Molar Stick Resistant to Bite Pet Training Interactive Props, Suitable for Small, Medium and Large Dogs (color D, Size M)
- Pet Retractable Dog Leash for Small Medium One Button Break Lock Hands Free Strong Ribbon White Traction Rope Training Walking Running 5M
- 1 of 4
- next ›