On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
Unrivaled in craftmanship, design and quality. Ruffled collar & sleeves. 50% cotton / polyester.
Our designers use experience from high-end fashion to bring high-quality design to fashion hounds.
Variety of fun & fancy outfits for furry family members to look their best in any family photo.
Great for dog moms & dads to dress up their cute princess & prince for any style, mood or occasion.
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- PAWZRoad Domestic Delivery Cat Tunnel Pet Cat Toys Leopard Print Crinkly Cat Funny 2 Hole Long Tunnel Kitten Play Toys for Cats
- RedL MiaoMiao Pet Dog Cat House Bed Medium And Small Pet Pet Nest Resistant To Bite To Keep Warm And Washable Kennel Pet Nest,Redl
- Wenzhihua Cat Toy Hemp Rope Bell Ball Cat Toy Cat Claw Dog Toy Cat Jumping Platform.
- 12Pack Pet Water Fountain Filter Replacement for Catit Flower Cat, Catit Design Senses, Catit Fresh & Clear Stainless Steel Top Cat Water Drinking Fountain Compatible w Catit Water Fountain Filter
- 10' Roll Pinky Aquarium Media Wet Dry Filters Pads for Koi Ponds Bonded Bio Ball
- Creatures of Leisure RYAN HARDY Bicep Leash
- Dog 3 Steps Stairs Pet Ladder for High Bed Sofa, Portable Washable Cover Pet Cat Step Stool for Couch, 45 40 45cm
- Felix As Good As It Looks Ocean Feasts in Jelly 44 x 100g (PACK OF 2)
- Hexiansheng Pet Bowl Pet AntiSkid Food and Drink Stainless Steel Bowl cat Bowl Double Bowl pet Dog Bowl cat Rice Basin 25 19 5cm
- Kess InHouse Danny Ivan Still New Pet Bowl, 7Inch, Red Pink
- M 66ccwwww Pet bed Pet nest, pet large kennel cat litter warm season pet mat (Size M)
- Orvis Toughchew Memory Foam Platform Dog Bed Medium Dogs 1827 Kg, Taupe, Medium
- 755012cm PETwo Dog Mat Mattress Large Dog golden Retriever Samoyed Husky Pet Kennel Sleeping Washable Biting, 75 50 12cm
- Canine Carry Outs 79100-51036 5.2 Oz Beef & Cheese Flavored Dog Snacks
- Pet supplies Pet Cat Climbing Frame Against The Wall Cat Climbing Frame Cat Litter Cat Hole Cat Jumping Cat Cat Watchtower Pet Cat Casual Toys
- Red Wood Slopes And Small Stairs To Ladder Steps Bedside Puppies Small Ladder Pet Sponge Ladder Multicolor Optional (color Yellow)
- Bowser 8359 Luxury Seat Cover
- Black fits for 23 inch dog's neck size Black fits for 23 inch dog's neck size 23 inch Black Leather Dog Collar with Nickel greenical Plates Necklace 1 1 2 inch (40 mm) wide
- CHALLENGER Equine Horse Fly Mask Ears Summer Spring Airflow Mesh UV Mosquitoes Bugs 73281
- 60X60cm DIYthinker Myanmar National Flag Asia Country Anti-Slip Floor Pet Mat Round Bathroom Living Room Kitchen Door 60 50Cm Gift
- Pet Nail Grinders Low Noise Electric Pet Nail Trimmers Clippers Trimming, Shaping, Battery Powered Ultra-Quiet Dog Nail Clipper Dog Cat Nail Fast Trimming Tool Safe Painless
- 1 of 4
- next ›