On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
2, color: black, size: S 28x18cm, M 32x20cm, L 38x23 cm, XL 41x24cm, Note: Due to manual measurement, please allow 1-3mm different. Due to differences in display and lighting, the image may not reflect the actual color of the project.
3, breathable and ventilated design, so that your pet gets enough fresh air, you can see it around instead of feeling closed.
4, the pet backpack strap is adjustable, please purchase the quantity according to the specific size, the bust should have a 2-4 cm margin, it is recommended to buy large size and a variety!
5, the back of the bag is designed with a sponge, and the collar has a collar to make it safer and more stable, preventing pets from jumping out or hurting themselves and protecting pets.
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Nutri-Vet 061629 7.5 H x 2 W Dogs 88258 Toothbrush
- Red 2 Pack Red 2 Pack Perfect Curve The Original Lick Lick Pad, Dog Distraction Device Large, Red, 2 Pack
- Uniqus 20 PCS D1 Spec P1.5 Racing Wheel Nut, Length 50mm(Silver)
- Abstract Floral Watercolor Painting Dog pet tag BigSize Round Dog Pet Tag 1.7 x 1.7 inche with 38cm Aluminum Bead Chain
- 7'0 Amigo Mio Medium Turnout Rug
- 6500 L H Jebao Jecod DCW Submersible Aquarium Fish Tank Sump Pump Sine Wave Technology (6500 L H)
- DEjh European Retro Cast Iron Wrought Iron Doorbell Welcome Doorbell Wall Bell Hand Bell Used in Various Styles
- FidgetFidget Pet Carrier Breathable Carry Cat Dog Puppy Shoulder Backpack Travel Portable Bag Brown(Advanced) 11 11 16.9inch (28 28 64cm)
- HITSAN Waterproof Dog Seat Cover Dog Hammock Car Seat Cover Pet Supplies SlipProof Pet Hammock One Piece
- Kennel Cat Litter, Four Seasons Universal Dog House, Washable Small Dog Dog Pad Dog Bed Pet Nest Supplies, Cotton And Cotton Pumpkin Drawstring Doghouse Set With Toys, Cotton Velvet Fabric, 2 Optional
- Little east Dog Bed Mediumsized Scratchresistant Largescale Dog Kennel Summer Sterile Dog Mat Wash Quickdrying Pet Nest (color Black, Size L)
- No Pull Active Dog Reflective Harness (XS, bluee)
- Big Country Toys Hay Bale and Hay Ring
- Large Midlee Large Santa Socks for Dogs
- Pet stairs 3 Tier, Dog 3 Steps Ladder For High Bed Sofa, Portable Removable Washable Cover Pet Cat Step Stool Couch (color Style 1)
- Red L CZHCFF pet products for dog beds for large dogs cats kennel kennel canvas nest for animals cat house dog supplies
- Herm Sprenger Dalmatian Curogan Fur Saver Choke Collar 51541(67) 1 9 inch (3 mm) Size 20 inch (50 cm) for Dogs with Neck Size of 17-18 inch (43-45 cm)
- golden Trumpet 1525 European wrought iron decorative bird cage wedding window bird cage decoration wedding photography bird cage prop bird cage cake rack Fine jewelry Decorations ( color golden trumpet 1525 )
- JWR Solar Panel Powered Pond Air Pump Oxygenator Aerator for Garden Fish Tank Pool
- bluee Handle 6 foot bluee Handle 6 foot WATFOON Heavy Duty Dog Leash Chain for Super Beast Dogs,6Ft Strong Dog Leash with Comfortable Ergonomic Design Handle, Extra Strong Chew Resistant Metal Rope, for Extra Large Dogs Walking & Training
- Petface Grey Window Pane Square Bed Small
- 1 of 4
- next ›